The tree lighting ceremony truly brings the Columbia community together, and reminds each of us, every year, that we are unconditionally, irrevocably alone. Here's how to make the most of the beautiful lights when you know there’s nothing inside yourself but endless, self-perpetuating darkness:
1. Dress the part: Take the chance to break out your holiday swag, like those “vintage” gloves you cut the fingers off of. Don’t worry—we won’t tell your friends they’re from Marshall’s.
2. Do NOT fucking instagram it. You’re in the city now. You’ve re-branded. Maybe the old you would’ve, but there’s no way it’s gonna fit into your current street trash-glam-punk aesthetic.
3. Revel in the holiday spirit: Tree lighting means the holidays are upon us! You are sure to be overcome by the holiday spirit and the all-consuming fear that you’ll never outshine your brother. Use the final weeks of the year to reflect on everything you’re grateful for, like the time your dad told you he was proud of you five years ago.
4. Take advantage of free Columbia goodies! Hot chocolate is perfect for warming up the vile corpse you live in.
5. Accept that your body is merely a vessel for pain, which, in the grand scheme of things, is meaningless. Lie down in the snow naked. Scream at passersby that you’re finally ready to surrender to the inevitability of human suffering. Maybe it’ll make her come back.
6. Stay hydrated.
IN OTHER NEWS
"If you have the border wall, you already have the two countries. Problem solved."
President Trump discreetly spat gum into his paper, before crumpling it and stuffing it in the Wall.
"Let me bury my secrets deep inside that expensive leather man-bag you keep strapped to your lanky midwestern frame."
"These people don’t speak English and no one here has watched Stranger Things."
"'Bucko’, ‘champ’, ‘squirt’, ‘Ralph Waldo Emerson’ and even ‘slutbag’ have been names used by Mr. Connelly to refer to his son."
"When I finally ran into her standing in sweatpants and a boring green cardigan in front of Butler, she just looked like a mere mortal."
Flipping water bottles doesn’t need to oppress women like it does now.
“I’m getting real tired of this salad shit. Can someone drop me a fucking burger?”